Skip to main content
1-800-472-6786

Giving

Dear Friends,

What is palliative care?  

Palliative care is a patient- and family-centered care program that optimizes quality of life for people living with serious illness. This multidisciplinary program aligns patient-support services with a focus on understanding, anticipating, preventing, treating and/or minimizing suffering from illness. 

You might not think about palliative care while you are in the prime of your life, however, you may need to make medical decisions for a loved one who could greatly benefit from this program.  

“I attended a Zoom presentation by Dr. Deborah Meyers on the Palliative Care Program last November. I mentally stored away the information. Little did I know that five months later I would be in a position to call on Dr. Meyers and the Palliative Care Team at Sansum Clinic for my 90-year-old father.    

Dad had a beautiful life well lived and it has given me such pleasure and joy to fully embrace the last part of his journey with him. Thank you, Dr. Meyers and Sansum Clinic, for being there for me and my father.”  - Christie Glanville

Palliative care services are delivered primarily within Sansum Clinic’s Ridley-Tree Cancer Center, but also extend to a patient’s home, the hospital, a skilled nursing facility, or wherever else support may be needed.  

Cancer patients comprise approximately 60% of Sansum’s Palliative Care Program. Patients with neurological, cardiac, respiratory, rheumatologic, kidney, liver or other organ dysfunction or failure comprise the other 40%. Patients facing diseases such as ALS, dementia, congestive heart failure, COPD and end-stage renal disease often receive considerable comfort from the services provided within our Palliative Care Program. 

Unfortunately, most of the services included within our Palliative Care Program are not covered by insurance. When we established the program in October 2019, we did so with the help of a key group of visionary donors who believed in the power of this work as an important service for patients facing chronic or terminal illness. Now that this successful program is up and running, we need to find ways to continue to fund it as a critical offering within our continuum of care. We are looking to generous people like you to ensure that this program is available to community members in need.

Studies have shown that patients who receive early, clinic-based palliative care often utilize fewer and more appropriate healthcare services and report greater satisfaction with their care, compared to patients who receive no palliative care.  

“I was relieved this program exists – it encompasses all aspects of end of life that include the physical, emotional and spiritual elements of such a journey. Meeting Dr. Meyers has not only been a gift to me but also the greatest gift I can give to my father by learning how to thoughtfully focus on the things most important to him.” - Christie said.  

As a nonprofit organization dedicated to healthcare in an era of diminishing insurance reimbursements, our commitment to providing exceptional care relies, increasingly, on the generosity of our donors.  Philanthropic support makes a critical difference in our ability to achieve that goal. 

Even though the COVID-19 pandemic has been extremely disruptive operationally and financially, the Palliative Care Program remained active throughout the pandemic, as was the rest of the Clinic. 

Despite these unprecedented times, our focus remains on our patients and the community. We continue to rise to meet the ever-evolving changes of delivering high quality healthcare and we’ve been doing this for 101 years!

You are an important partner in our current and future success. Working together, we can continue to better serve you, our patients and the community.  

Thank you for your consideration. Stay safe and know that we continue to smile under our masks.  

Sincerely,

Signature Kurt Ransohoff

Kurt N. Ransohoff, MD, FACP
CEO and Chief Medical Officer

 

btn-donate-now

Or download and complete our mail-in donation form >