Primary Care for Women
Sansum Clinic's primary care offices are composed of highly trained board-certified physicians and include the departments of Pediatrics, Family Medicine and Internal Medicine.
Our robust primary care offerings are the engine that drives our integrated, group practice model that brings our patients the highly skilled care of more than 30 specialties.
Patient-Centered Medical Home
We know the healthcare system is complex and it can be difficult to navigate your way to good health. Our Patient-Centered Medical Home is a new model for primary care where all aspects of your care are coordinated through your Primary Care Provider (PCP) to ensure you receive excellent care in the right place, at the right time, and in the manner that best suits your needs.
Although the Patient-Centered Medical Home term may be new to you, this is a model of primary care we have always delivered at Sansum Clinic, with a focus on comprehensive, team-based, coordinated care, and an emphasis on quality and safety. We are currently in the process of formally implementing this model in each of our Primary Care sites, from Lompoc to Carpinteria.
At Sansum Clinic, our Patient-Centered Medical Home is not a place, it’s a partnership among practitioners, patients and families, and other members of the healthcare team to ensure that you have the education and support you need to make informed decisions and participate in your own healthcare.
Read more here: Patient-Centered Medical Home.pdf
Primary Care Physicians
Primary care physicians serve as the frontline of preventative healthcare. Our primary care physicians offer primary healthcare services provide coordinated care between our primary care physicians and higly trained specialists, allowing for consistent access to comprehensive care - right here in our own community.
At Sansum Clinic, our primary care physicians consider the whole person in preventative and diagnostic healthcare, rather than individual systems or organs. Our integrated model is built upon a team approach that brings together physicians, nurse practicitoners, medical assistamts, nurses and other clinical staff to deliver coordinated care that includes:
- Preventative healthcare
- Management of existing medical conditions
- Healthcare plans for chronic conditions
- Coordination between PCPs and specialists
- Access to and education about self care between appointments
Our primary care physicians coordinate our patients' care and manage puzzling medical conditions associated with that care, bringing in specialists as needed. Internists combine the role of a diagnostician and a consultant in disease prevention and health promotion, providing a continuum of care for patients with physicians across various specialties when multisystem diseases occur.
Sansum Clinics primary care physicians practice in the following departments:
- Internal Medicine - Our internists see patients age 15 and older, and take pride in seeing them for life.
- Family Medicine - The Sansum Clinic Family Medicine Department is available to patients of all ages - from infancy through adulthood. Family members from one household may opt to see the same Family Medicine physician.
- Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine - Our pediatricians see infants, children and adolescents and young adults - and some of our providers are seeing their third generation of babies.
Primary care physicians are trained to handle all aspects of healthcare for adults, including:
- Preventative healthcare screening, including colonoscopies, mammograms, pap smears, cholesterol screening, blood pressure screening)
- Caring for patients with undiagnosed issues (chest or abdominal pain, shortness of breath)
- Coordinated care between specialties for patients with chronic medical conditions, including diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure
If our patients require care from physicians in other Sansum Clinic specialties, or require lab testing or radiology imaging, our primary care physicians coordinate the care and consult on issues related to diagnosis, treatment and patient care. The Wave, our electronic health record system enables all healthcare providers to share information, making the referral and consultation process more efficient.