Sansum Clinic Endocrinology is a Recognized Diabetes Self-Management Training Program with the American Diabetes Association—honoring our commitment to empower patients to lead active, healthy lives. In fact, we've been singled out as the best of California's participating clinics for our monitoring of diabetes patients through the use of blood tests. Our frequency in testing provides an ongoing and accurate measure of how well a person's diabetes is under control, and keeps us and our patients on top of any potential problems.
Diabetes Classes & Support Resources
Sansum Clinic's certified diabetes educators offer a diverse array of diabetes classes, counseling and support groups to help people manage their condition with confidence. Our diabetes education program provides all the latest information for people living with diabetes, and is a must for anyone newly diagnosed.
Family and friends are encouraged to attend. Diabetes classes and resources are offered at minimum or no cost and are open to the community.
Do you have pre-diabetes or is your blood sugar a little high? This is your chance to prevent diabetes and heart disease with simple lifestyle changes. Our registered dietitian will help you understand:
- What your lab results mean
- How to balance your meals to decrease blood sugar
- Factors you can change to lower your risk
Diabetes Basics (Available in English and Spanish)
This two-part diabetes education program covers and clarifies all of the essentials, including:
- Who is at risk for diabetes
- Physiology of diabetes
- What lab results mean
- How to lower blood sugar
- What happens when diabetes is out of control
- Benefits of exercise
- How food affects blood sugar and health
- How to use food labels
- Carbohydrate counting
- Eating well away from home
- Guidelines for alcoholic drinks
Blood Sugar Control
Attend this program to understand how self-monitoring helps you manage your diabetes and improve blood sugar. You will learn to establish your blood sugar goals, and how to use your meter, when to test and what to do when blood sugar is too high or too low. Please bring your blood sugar monitor to class.
Individual Diabetes Education
Our team of diabetes educators is available to meet one-on-one with you to:
- Fine-tune your diabetes management skills
- Use new strategies to prevent complications
- Develop in-depth understanding of meal planning
- Select healthy, enjoyable meals when dining out
- Cope with and reduce stress, minimizing its effect on blood sugar levels
- Incorporate preventive health care habits into your daily routine
- Establish a personal exercise plan for superb blood sugar control
- Feel secure and have fun, with smart strategies for travel and parties
Our registered dietitian leads a monthly discussion for people interested in food, health and longevity. Join in to:
- Discuss a variety of popular nutrition topics
- Clarify confusion about food
- Learn ways to keep blood sugar, cholesterol and weight in a healthy range
- Meet others with an interest in eating for health and vitality
Free of charge.
Insulin Users Peer Group
Do you use insulin to manage diabetes or want to know more about it? If yes, this monthly support group is for you. The group is facilitated by a certified diabetes educator and individuals with diabetes. Discussion topics include new technology for diabetes, exercise while using insulin, nutrition and coping strategies.
Free of charge.
Arm Yourself with Knowledge—Register Now
See our current schedule and sign up for an empowering diabetes class today.