The Berry Best Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 0 min
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Makes two servings
Serving size: approximately 1 cup
½ cup low-fat or low-carbohydrate milk, soymilk or rice milk
6 ounces silken tofu (½ package) or 6 ounces plain low-fat yogurt, or a combination
1 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
½ small (6") banana
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon flax meal
½ teaspoon Splenda or preferred sugar substitute
Optional: protein powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender, cover and blend until smooth and creamy.
There are many things to consider when choosing a protein powder, such as:
- Amount of protein: Read labels carefully; the serving size may be in tablespoons or in scoopfuls (scoops are provided in the containers).
- Type of protein: Whey protein (derived from milk) is well tolerated by many people and has an added benefit of enhancing the immune system. Soy protein is beneficial for heart health and the kidneys and for women going through menopause. It may also help prevent breast and prostrate cancer. However, if you have a history of breast cancer, your physician might discourage the use of soy-based foods or protein powders. Milk and egg protein powders are also available.
- Taste: Some powders use all-natural flavorings like pure vanilla for better flavor.
- Texture: You'll want a powder that mixes easily.
- Amount of lactose: It's important to check this if you are sensitive to this milk sugar.
- Type of sweetener: A fruit smoothie usually needs only the "isolated" (pure) protein powder, since the fruit will sweeten it; or, you can add a sweetener to your taste. You can also purchase protein powders that contain sugar, fructose or honey or that contain artificial sweeteners such as Splenda (sucralose) or Equal (aspartame). Some also contain stevia, a natural plant-based sweetener, which is calorie- and carbohydrate-free.
- Price: Comparing prices can be tricky, since the quantities and portion sizes vary.
Nutrition at a Glance (per serving):
Total fat: 5g
Saturated fat: 1g
Total carbohydrate: 19g
Dietary fiber: 4g