Easy, Elegant Macaroons
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Easy
These elegant macaroons are easy to prepare, and they have a wonderful flavor that will impress your taste buds.
A spoon is used to shape them in the form of an egg, which makes them a perfect ending for an Easter dinner, or you can make other shapes, as you please. Because they use no flour or leavening, they are a perfect treat for Passover.
I like these macaroons best soon after baking, when they are crunchy outside with a moist interior. Leftover cookies may become moister, but you can briefly reheat them in the oven to achieve that fresh-baked crunchy texture. Store the cookies in an air-tight container.
1 cup walnuts
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 egg whites or 1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup Splenda; or, use part Splenda and part honey or sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grind walnuts in a food processor until they are finely ground.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop up some of the mixture and pack it into the spoon in the shape of an egg. Place the “eggs” on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes until slightly golden. Remove and cool on a rack.
Variations: (Most will add carbohydrates and change the nutritional value of the cookies)
- Use part rolled “quick” oats in place of the nuts.
- Add small pieces of chopped dates, apricots or figs.
- Use pecans or almonds instead of walnuts.
- Insert a large chocolate chip on the top of each cookie.
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top of the cooled cookies.
Nutrition at a Glance (per serving)
Total fat: 6g