Tofu Vegetable Scramble
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Tofu can be the starring player of a meal or it can be disguised in many ways in cuisines of all kinds. Use your imagination with this very versatile and nutritious food.
Makes 4 small or 2 large portions
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon butter
1 box (15 ounces) firm tofu, drained
¼ teaspoon turmeric, or more to taste
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (about 6 medium mushrooms)
3 green onions, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
Sprinkle of sweet or hot paprika (optional)
1 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)
Few drops of hot sauce or salsa (optional)
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until tender. Add tofu, crumbling it into small clumps about the size of scrambled egg pieces. Add soy sauce and turmeric. Stir mixture for a few minutes until the color is fairly uniform.
- Add green onions and cook over medium heat until the tofu is hot. Add paprika, mustard or hot sauce for a spicy touch.
- Add chopped vegetables such as green or red bell peppers, red onions, broccoli, spinach, Swiss chard, bok choy or kale.
- Add shredded cheese, or some Canadian bacon or turkey sausage.
- Add tofu to your usual vegetable scramble, using whole eggs, egg whites or an egg substitute
|Nutrition at a Glance (per serving)|
Total fat: 10g
Total carbohydrate: 4g
Dietary fiber: 2g
*equivalent to 2 oz. meat