What should I consider before participating in a research study?
You should know as much as possible about the study and feel comfortable asking the research staff questions about it, the care expected while in a study, and the cost of the trial. The following questions might be helpful for you to discuss with the health care team.
• What is the purpose of the study?
• Why do researchers believe the new treatment being tested may be effective? Has it been tested before?
• Who is going to be in the study?
• What kinds of tests and treatments are involved?
• How do the possible risks and benefits in the study compare with my current treatment?
• How long will my participation in the trial last?
• Will hospitalization be required?
• Will results of the study be provided to me?
• Who will pay for the treatment?
• Will I be reimbursed for other expenses?
• What type of long-term follow up care is part of this study?
• Who will be in charge of my care?
• How might this trial affect my daily life?
Sansum Clinic Providing innovative healthcare services in Santa Barbara County for more than 90 years. 1-800-472-6786