Your eyes don’t always hurt when something is wrong. In fact, with many common eye disorders, you may not notice any symptoms at all. We recommend that you schedule regular eye exams to determine changes in your vision or eye health, instead of relying on broken glasses or lost contacts to get you to the eye doctor.
Comprehensive Eye Evaluation at Sansum Clinic
The expert optometrists at the Sansum Clinic Eye Care Center perform routine and comprehensive eye exams to address overall eye health. Your exam may include eye strain evaluation, cataract and glaucoma testing, visual field and depth perception assessments and more.
If your optometrist determines that you need corrective lenses, you’ll find a full range of eyewear options across the hall at our one-stop Optical Shop.
When to Schedule Eye Exams
The American Optometric Association (AOA) recommends the following guidelines for eye exams:
- Birth—24 months: eye exams are performed by a pediatrician; if abnormalities occur, you will be referred to our pediatric ophthalmologist
- 2—5 years old: children should have an eye exam at age 3
- 6—18 years old: children should have an eye exam before entering 1st grade and every two years after
- 19—40 years old: young adults should have an eye exam every two or three years
- 41—60 years old: adults should have an eye exam every two years
- 61 and older: older patients should have an annual eye exam
Also from the AOA: Patients should seek eye care more frequently than the recommended re-examination interval if new ocular, visual or systemic health problems develop. In addition, the optometrist may recommend more frequent re-examinations of certain patients at risk. Such patients include those with diabetes, hypertension or a family history of glaucoma; those working in occupations that are highly demanding visually or eye hazardous; those taking prescription or nonprescription drugs with ocular side effects; and those with other health concerns or conditions.
Schedule Your Eye Exam Today
Take charge of your eye health—call the all-in-one Sansum Clinic Eye Care Center today at (805) 681-8950 to schedule your appointment.