Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed With Barley Risotto
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 45 min
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Advanced
Portobello mushrooms are perfect for stuffing because of their large size and shape. Mushrooms are a nutritionally superior food, containing ample amounts of the minerals potassium and selenium, with few calories and carbohydrates.
Barley contains a unique soluble fiber, and it has a low glycemic index, it lowers cholesterol and it tastes great. Barley is a hearty food that is very satisfying. The carbohydrate content of this recipe is much lower than for a traditional serving of risotto, because the portion size is smaller. Sautéed greens, chopped mushrooms or other nonstarchy vegetables can be added to the risotto to increase portion size without adding significant amounts of carbohydrate. Or you can increase the risotto ingredients if you can manage more carbohydrate.
Chef Harold Welch, owner of World Cuisine Express, specializes in creating wholesome international meals that are often low in carbohydrate.
Makes 4 servings
4 large portobello mushrooms
Olive-oil cooking spray
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 to 2½ cups chicken stock
¼ cup pearl barley
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
To prepare the risotto:
- In a large, heavy, saucepan heat the butter and 1 cup of the chicken stock until simmering. Add barley; cover and cook until most of the chicken stock is absorbed, about 25 minutes. The barley will be slightly chewy and not fully cooked.
- Gradually add remaining stock about ¼ cup at a time, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next ¼ cup. Barley should be fully cooked when last ¼ cup of broth is absorbed. If barley is not soft, add ¼ cup more of broth and continue cooking until soft and ready to eat. Mix in the Parmesan cheese. Turn off heat and keep warm.
To prepare the mushrooms:
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a moist paper towel, if needed. Remove the inner gills of the mushrooms with a spoon and discard.
- Place mushrooms gill-side up in a lightly oiled baking pan. Bake the mushrooms for about 15 minutes until tender.
- To serve, fill each mushroom cap with ¼ of the barley risotto. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Nutrition at a Glance (per serving):
Total fat: 3g
Saturated fat: 1.5g
Total carbohydrate: 12g
Dietary fiber: 3g