Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Try these "muffins" for breakfast or a snack or share them with your mom for a mother's day treat over a cup of afternoon tea. Unlike most regular muffins, they contain significant protein and are made without flour.
Once you taste them, they will most likely become a household favorite. They can be baked in advance and frozen until serving time, although the texture will change slightly.
Nonstick cooking spray
8 large eggs
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup minced green onion or chopped green chilies, or a combination of both
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Generously spray the bottom and sides of 12 muffin cups with the cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs, ricotta and salt in a blender, or whip with a beater until smooth. Stir in the green onion or chilies and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove tray from the oven and sprinkle the top of each muffin with a little grated cheese.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until the tops are puffy, golden and just barely firm to the touch.
- Remove the pans from the oven and let the muffins cool in the pans for about 5 minutes. Muffins will deflate a bit while cooling. Run a knife around the edges of each muffin and remove them from the pan. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
- Fresh or dried herbs and spices can be added to create wonderful flavors. Crush dried herbs before using. If you use fresh herbs, first remove any woody stems, then rinse and dry them delicately before using. Eggs enjoy the company of chives, dill, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, basil, parsley, chervil or anise.
- Sliced olives, sautéed mushrooms and raw or roasted red peppers are all good additions. Sun-dried tomatoes re-hydrated in a little water are another flavorful choice.
- Try adding crumbled turkey bacon, "veggie" bacon or soy bacon-flavored bits.
Nutrition at a Glanceper serving (one muffin):
Total fat: 5g
Saturated fat: 2.5g
Total carbohydrate: 2g
Ingredients & Methods:
Makes 12 Servings