The objective of this Asthma study is to evaluate the effect of the drug Omalizumab on certain allergic markers that trigger asthma. This will be measured by the Asthma Control Test (ACT) scores at 24 weeks of treatment.
This study is for patients with inadequately controlled persistent allergic asthma.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
- Male or female 12 years of age or older
- History of positive skin prick test or RAST test within the last 12 months to at least one perennial aeroallergen (i.e. cat dander, dog dander, dust mite, cockroach)
- Diagnosis of asthma for at least 12 months prior to screening visit date, or symptoms compatible with asthma for at least 12 months if diagnosis made within 12 months of screening visit
- Prescribed and using at least medium dose inhaled corticosteroids such as fluticasone DPI> 300mcg / day or equivalent
- Bodyweight not more than 150kg
- Currently a non-smoker for at least 1 year prior to Visit 1, with a smoking history of no more than 10 pack-years
What is Involved?
The trial consists of two periods:
- Screening period consists of 2 weeks to establish patient's eligibility for the trial
- Double-blind treatment period is randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled for 24 weeks
Total duration of patient's participation is 26 weeks.